Saturday, July 11, 2009

traveling girls...

Olivia and I traveled to Indiana this past week. It was a sudden trip that Andy & I thought was a good idea when he got word that he was going on a trip overseas. I had been wanting to go to Indiana in this time frame anyhow (because Cathy's family was going to be there from Oklahoma), but I was hesitant to plan it with Olivia being so little. However, when we heard that Andy was going to be gone, we thought it was a perfect plan for me to go ahead and visit up there. The plan seemed perfect for a few hours and I booked my ticket. But, in true military fashion, the plan fell apart and Andy was pulled from the trip and I was committed to going even though he was going to be here at home the entire time. In my warped postpartum mind (imagine tearing up at any moment), the plan was only an option if he was going to be gone because the thought of leaving him here and us traveling was very unsettling to me.
However, Andy convinced me that the trip was worth it no matter what the circumstances were, and Olivia and I packed up and got on the airplane at the crack of dawn Sunday morning. I had a great time being with my family, which I knew I would, and I was able to be present for Brady's burial which was very special. Olivia traveled like a champ and slept through all 4 flights (it is impossible to get to Indy without a layover...grrrrr.) She had a few moments, but I was always able to calm her and get her to sleep by putting her in my sling. I got many comments about traveling alone across the country with a 3 week old, but I feel good that I was able to tackle that challenge. Life must go on even if you do have a newborn! (but I was SOOOO excited to get back to Charleston and see Andy waiting for us at the airport!!)
Olivia, Drew, & Jordan in their matching outfits. Drew's was too small and we couldn't get it snapped, but we put it on him anyhow! He has already started having to do things just to make the girls happy....=)Papa and his grandchildren show off their Purdue gear! Boiler Up!
Aunt Kelly loves on her newest nieces and nephew (baby order...Drew, Olivia, Jordan)
Olivia & Jordan hang out on a lazy morning.
Yet again, we subject the babies to matching clothing!!



On Monday we celebrated the life of Brady Thomas and buried his ashes next to Grandma & Grandpa Jordan. It was a service of many emotions, but mostly I felt sadness as I reflected on the short life he lived and how great it would be if he were still here with us. However, I believe Brady gave life to Jordan and Drew and we can celebrate that. I think of him daily and can still remember his baptism and passing like it was yesterday. It is hard to believe that something so small (1 lb 11 0z) could leave such a footprint in my heart, but he did.
Everyone was together at Mom & Dad's except Andy, and we missed him terribly! Getting everyone home at the same time is difficult in our family because we have 2 military lifestyles to try and plan around. However, we make the most of any time we do get together and are usually making plans for the "next time" before that visit is even over! We captured this picture in Mom & Dad's front yard the day of Brady's burial. I am still trying to figure out how to photoshop Andy into the picture!!

1 comment:

The Jordan's said...

We love the post and pictures! In a way I guess the military worked abit in our favor this time so that you and Olivia were even here!! Miss you all...