In November I ran in the San Antonio Rock and Roll Half Marathon. It was an opportunity that fell into my lap through a few encouraging girlfriends. After their invite it join them, I spent a week thinking it over and finally decided to take the plunge and sign up! I "trained" for about a month and a half and, although, I could have used a few more weeks to be truly race-ready, I was fairly prepare for race day!
I thought running was going to simply be an excuse for a family trip and a mere check on my bucket list. I couldn't have been more wrong! Competing this athletic feat represented so much more to me by the time it was all done. I have never enjoyed running more than a mile or two, so the fact that I willingly chose to run for 2 hours still makes my dad laugh!
I was emotional the day of the race, which was a big surprise. I shed a few tears and hugged my girlfriends as we passed the start line and began the race. Emotions were bubbling to the surface that I hadnt expected.
![]() |
| Finished! And waiting to find Andy |
I didn't know if I'd get to see Andy and the kids too early in the race because the early start time was going to make it tough for him to get the kids up and out of the hotel. However, there they were about mile 1.5!! I couldn't have been more excited! They cheered and waved and I felt so proud inside to be the mommy to those precious kids! My body had been devoted to them the better part of the past 4 years. I grew them both from scratch and nursed them for the first 16 and 13 months of their lives. Much of my recent existence has been about nurturing and growing them, yet here I was doing something all for me. Pushing my body in a new way that wasn't possible when I was nursing or pregnant. And there they were there, on the sidewalk, cheering "go mommy" with a look of amazement in their eyes.
It was a defining moment for me that left me in tears.
When I was telling Andy afterwards how I was surprised at how emotional the race had made me, he said "yeah I felt that way too". That was great to hear. I wasn't alone in my pride and crazy emotions!! I'm not sure how he exactly felt because it's not my place to put words in his mouth, but it I know he was proud. That much he told me. We both were teary when it was over and when we saw one another on the race route. How unexpected
(He and the kids saw me at mile 1.5, mile 9, and the end which was so great)!
![]() |
| Sarah, an awesome running partner! |
![]() |
| Pre-race with my running buddies |
We had a lot of fun exploring downtown......
![]() |
| The Alamo at night |
The Children's Museum provided hours of entertainment Saturday morning....
![]() |
| Carter at the wheel of the trolly!! |
The River Walk through downtown San Antonio gave us lots to see during our boat ride and for lunch....
Swimming at the hotel!!
My college girlfriend, roommate, and pledge sister Julia came down from Austin to cheer me on! How special! She is a marathoner, Iron Man, and triathlon participant and provided valuable insight and tips for training and the race. Plus seeing her, meeting her adorable almost 2 year old, and rubbing her pregnant belly for good luck was just plain awesome :)
We will title this section "My mom just ran a half marathon so I get to wear her medal and eat Dairy Queen"!!! Haha
























3 comments:
Go Girl!! I know what you mean about seeing the kids during the race- I was the same way when I saw Con and Saw cheering me on during mine. And you reminded me how much I miss San Anonio. What a fun city. Congrats again you are a rock star!
Awh, thanks for the smiles you bave me with this post. Love you love you love you!
Mom :)
So awesome, Stephanie! Way to go! HIGH FIVE!
Post a Comment