Things progressed through the night and at around 1:30am we thought we may be meeting our princess very soon. Andy was so sure that he sent word to the grandparents (that were waiting at our house) to go ahead and come to the hospital. Well, that was wishful thinking because we hit a wall around 3:00am Sunday morning. I had advanced to 9cm, but that was as far as things would go. My contractions were slowing in frequency and intensity and I was still at 9cm 3.5 hours later (6:30am). By this time we were completely exhausted and I was tired of feeling so much pain and we had a heart to heart with the doctor. She recommended an epidural so that we could get some rest and see about getting me the final centimeter. Even though it was not part of our original birth plan, I quickly agreed to the epidural....enough is enough! (especially when you have been stuck at the same point for 3 and a half hours!). So at 7:00am I got the epidural, Andy and I got an hour or so to rest, and I began pushing at 9:15am. Olivia Grace arrived at 10:46am on Sunday the 14th and was worth every single pain and frustration! What a moment!
Olivia aspirated meconium during the delivery and was hurried off to the Level II nursery where they began oxygen and antibiotics because her respiration and oxygen levels were not where they should be. The neonatologist picked up her case and provided us with many updates regarding her progress. Andy was by Olivia's side in the nursery while they worked on her, but I was confined to the bed for a few hours since I had needed the epidural. That was a hard few hours because I had no idea what was happening with our little girl.
Throughout the next few days Olivia passed every milestone that the doctor set for her either right on time, or just a little early. The antibiotics seemed to clear her lungs and she was weaned off the oxygen hood by 5:ooam Monday morning. That meant we could finally hold her! What a great wake-up call!! We held her and I was able to begin nursing. Prior to that I was pumping and they were attempting to soothe her with a passy dipped in the cholostrum I was producing. Apparently that wasn't good enough for little Miss Olivia because she nursed for 45 minutes that first time. She wanted the real thing =)
Late Monday night the nursery notified us that Olivia was off the monitors and could come to our room for feedings! Another glorious milestone! The next morning the neonatologist ran her labs and gave the approval to take out her IV! That also meant we could take her home that day! What great news!! We raced through the discharge process because we were both very eager to get Olivia Grace home where she couldn't be poked, prodded, or tested anymore. We are thankful for all of the hard work from the doctors and nurses, but there comes a point where you know your baby is okay and you just want to get home! So, we arrived home yesterday (the 16th) and it has been amazing!
She is a happy baby and has only been crying when she is wet, dirty, or wants to nurse. We had our first meeting with the pediatrician this morning and she passed with flying colors. It seems that her rough start was short lived and she is a healthy newborn now.
Snuggling up with Mommy; something we both really needed!
Andy and Olivia get in a nap not long after we arrived home.
6 comments:
I am just so happy for you guys!! I'm glad you are all home together and I look forward to meeting Olivia!
Thanks for putting up the story and pictures! I am so glad you guys are doing so well!
-Rachel
We couldn't be happier for you! We can't wait to meet our newest niece...she looks just precious. We love you guys!
She is adorable! I couldn't be happier for you both! Love you!
Welcome to the world Olivia Grace!! We are so happy to hear you and Mommy are doing so well! Congrats to Mom & Dad :) She is BEAUTIFUL!! Love from OH & IN, Brandy & Tim and Melvin & Mary
Post a Comment