Today is Friday the 13th! Some people are superstitious about this day and think that only bad things can happen. However, Andy and I met on Friday the 13th (waaay back in August of 2004), so I have a special place in my heart for this silly day!
Our house is officially on the rental market. View it here and then call me when you decide you want to rent it from us ;) Seeing the rental sign in our front yard has begun to make our upcoming move a little more real. It will be hard to leave Charleston for many reasons, but it will be very hard to leave this house. This is where Andy and I moved after we got married, the home we brought our first baby home to, and just a place with a LOT of memories. I know we will make more memories over the years in all of the places we live, but this house will always be extra special to me. I love our house and I will miss it dearly.
We tried painting the other week. Olivia was NOT a fan of finger painting. As soon as her hands got dirty she would say "all done" and "dirty"! ha. I gave her a brush and she was interested for a bit, but not as much as I thought she'd be. She loves to color so much that I thought painting would be a natural transition, but I guess I need to give it some more time. (Play-Do was received just about as well as the finger painting was! Silly girl).
Summer is here in full force with humidity around 80% on most days! I always forget about how HOT it gets here in the summer. Maybe moving away in the middle of summer won't be such a bad thing! It isn't the heat that gets me so much around here, but the humidity! It is just. so. sticky!
We have been going through some sleep training here lately. That is slightly embarrassing to admit, considering my "baby" is nearly two. However, Olivia picked up a terrible habit while we were living at my parent's house this winter and I haven't had the heart to break it until now. She got accustomed to being rocked to sleep and would scream bloody murder if/when she was put down awake. We worked on it slightly after we got home, but then things like more sickness/traveling/visitors/mommy's soft-side got in the way and we would be back to square one before I knew it. Now, don't get me wrong, there is something precious about your little one falling asleep in your arms, but that is not a habit I was used to. We had worked to make sure she could put herself to sleep as a baby and that trend continued into toddler-hood, making bed and nap times a non-issue around here. However, once the awful habit worked its way into our lives, I found myself spending anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes rocking her to sleep each night! I would be beyond frustrated on the nights it took her nearly an hour to fall asleep and felt cheated of my alone time that I typically get after she goes to bed.
I can now happily report that she has cried for less than five minutes the past 3 nights and then falls peacefully off to sleep on her own! Getting to that point has taken us about a week, with her crying/screaming/stomping for an hour that first night - ugh; it was brutal! I am posting this to give hope to any moms out there who are in need of sleep training again. It will work on a toddler just as it did on an infant (but it is a little harder since they are screaming your name rather than just crying). I hope we have passed the hump and will have our "happy to go to bed alone" girl back in full force by the time we move and add a new baby to the mix.
Hope you are having a great Friday! I am about to fill Baby Girl's kiddie pool (well, it is actually the neighbor's that we are "borrowing") and let the water warm up for her to splash around in this afternoon. Sounds like a fun Friday afternoon to me!
1 comment:
Understand your viewpoint, but geeze, Nana just can't resist rockin' those sweet babies :)
Post a Comment