Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cornhole and a night with the alligators



Cornhole. It is such a strange word, yet it actually describes a very fun game! The object is simple...throw bean bags toward the board and get points by making it in the hole or for merely landing it on top of the board. However, landing your bean bag on the board is a lot harder than it may seem! Andy and I have played a few times together at various cook-outs, but this weekend we were in a couples tournament at his squadron picnic. It was time to get serious.

We are both competitive natured, but we never dreamed we would actually win, especially since we have only played one time in the last calendar year. However, we won the lot of 16 and now have the champion title until next summer!! wohoo! I did hear comments such as, "well, she IS from Indiana!" Like being from a state that is abundant with cornfields makes me an automatic pro at a game with 'corn' in the title!! I think maybe the were just jealous of my smooth bean bag launching technique! But, if they want to claim that our win was biased by my Indiana farm roots, then I suppose I will allow it.

With the big cornhole win behind us, we were able to focus on our next adventure of the day. We were going to camp in a tent!!! Despite my concern, Andy secured us a campsight in the "primitive" area of the park and we got busy setting up our tent. Primitive meant that we had no electricity or water, but Andy assured me that we didn't need either. We camped with our friends Blaine and Jennifer, and they beat us in the tent set-up portion of the night by about 20 minutes. However, our tent was eventually erected, the air mattress was blown up, the sheet set was appropriately placed on the mattress, our sleeping bags were rolled out, my suitcase (Andy still can't figure this one out) was unloaded, and we changed into our carefully selected "camping attire". Let the fun begin!!!


Once the fire was going strong, I was able to introduce everyone to my family tradition of 'pudgy pies' cooked over the fire, and they were a huge hit! I would share the details here, but I am afraid that would compromise the integrity of the recipe. If you want to experience a 'pudgy pie', then you will just have to invite me on your next camping trip!

Our campsite was right on the water and I was convinced all night that an alligator was going to break into our tent. You see, last summer a man was attacked by an alligator in this very lake and his arm was eaten off! It was big news around here and I could not get that image out of my mind. I had even asked the lady that rented us our sight about it and her response was merely, "ahhh, I don't think they will bother you tonight."!! You don't think they will get me?!?! Are you kidding?! That did nothing to reassure me. I made Andy follow me around with a light everytime I needed to make nature's call in the weeds behind the tent because I was afraid of being bitten in the butt by an alligator. I don't know if the light would deter them, but I wasn't going to take my chances! I figured, at the least, he could give me warning to get my britches pulled up and RUN!

I only woke him up once asking if "that noise" was an alligator and we were both in one piece this morning, so all in all it was a successfull trip! We are talking of buying our own tent and making camping more of a habit, but next time I may choose us a campsite a little further from the alligator infested lake!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Jennifer was raving about your "Pudgy Pies" on Sunday! They sound scrumptious! Sounds like you had a great time...it was good seeing y'all on Saturday, wish we could have hung out a little more ;o)