Of course she needs to believe! And so do I! And so do you! It is Santa Claus, after all! He stands for all things magical, and good, and exciting. He represents giving at its greatest. One man gives a gift to every child in the world in one night- you can get much more selfless than that!
I remember the magic of Santa Claus very well. As a child, nothing got my heart racing like the anticipation of waking up Christmas morning to the surprise of a living room filled with toys and stockings filled with candy and special treats.
Although I may not have realized it at the time, it didn't matter much what was underneath the wrapping paper or inside the stockings. It was the magic of the moment that really made it special -the paper strewn about, Dad in the same grey sweat pants he wore every single Christmas (we have the pictures to prove it!), me and my sisters in our new matching holiday pajamas, riding our brand new bikes in the snow with our winter coats over our pjs, and smiling with excitement when someone opened a gift I had picked just for them. Those are the moments that make Christmas mornings some of my favorite childhood memories. And although Santa wasn't responsible for any of those memories, he sure got the morning started off on the right foot!
There is something contagious about believing in something when your aren't really sure if you should, and then seeing it happen right before your very eyes. The anticipation, the smiles, and the magic of it all makes it something worth believing in even as adults. Unfortunately, we live in a world where there is too much crime, hate, and tragedy and I am enlightened by the thought of a man (along with his reindeer and sleigh) bringing goodness and joy to others.
Now I know that Santa Claus is not the reason for the season, but believing in him is a tradition that I will pass on to our children. I have heard of parents who don't tell their children about Santa because they do not want to encourage white lies or break their children's trust. Come on! Really? I am here to say that I still believe, and I hope you do too!
1 comment:
Well put. We too believe, and it's so exciting to see the anticipation in Eli's eyes now that he is old enough to understand it this year. Can't wait to share that morning with your family this year sis! Love you!
Post a Comment