Monday, June 14, 2010

One.

Olivia  turned one today and I love her more today than I ever thought possible.   

I remember this day last year.  I remember how excited we were to finally be heading to the hospital, but not before we snapped one more picture of my pregnant belly!  The next time I would stand in that spot I would have a baby in my arms!
I rememeber laboring for 25 hours.  I remember Andy being there for every single contraction - a "coach" that even Dr. Bradley would be proud of!  I remember her first loud cry and how it took my breath away.  I remember holding her, albeit briefly, before they whisked her away to the the Level II nursery.  I remember the helpless feeling when I couldn't hold her or comfort her cries that first night while she was under the oxygen hood; an abrupt introduction to how much being a mother can hurt your heart just as much as it fills it with love.  I remember the first time they let me hold and nurse her.  I remember knowing that nothing else in the world mattered but the moment I was experiencing that very moment.
I remember looking into Andy's eyes in amazement as we realized the life we had created together was finally here!   It had been a long nine months waiting and now we were finally parents.  We knew our life would always be different, but the truth is that we really had no idea!    

This baby girl has rocked our world.  She has added more love and smiles than we ever thought possible.  We give thanks to God for her each and every day because we know that she is a blessing far beyond what we deserve.   Happy birthday, Olivia Grace.  Mommy and Daddy  love you very very much!

7 comments:

Cay said...

and that feeling will never leave you
Love, Mom

mm said...

I can't believe she's one already?!!? The time really goes by SO FAST!! Happy belated birthday, Olivia!!

Jennifer Baker said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Olivia!! I love this post and your description of how wonderful motherhood is for you. It makes me excited and anxious about it myself! :)

The Moons said...

What a beautiful post Stephanie! You have such an amazing way of capturing how a mom feels..in words! Happy Birthday Olivia!! What a fun time you still have ahead!

Deb said...

Ditto, Cay!

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday to Olivia!! I know exactly how you feel, no one understands how it feels to be a mom until you are actually a mom. The best feeling in the world.

Kristina said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes! What a great description. Happy Birthday to miss Olivia!