Thursday, October 24, 2013

dance recital!

Back in May Olivia participated in her first dance recital!  She loves to go to class each week, but we were really unsure of how the actual recital would go.  The dance studio she attends has one large recital for the entire company.  That meant that every class, from the 4 year olds to the seniors planning to major in dance at college, would be preforming.  First of all, it meant for a long show.  But most of all, it meant for a LOT of people!  I took her to every practice and dress rehearsal she had scheduled that week (and there were SO many!) to help and acclimate her with the large auditorium where the recital was. I think that helped, as annoying as they all were.  On a side note, I'm not sure I am cut out to be a 'dance mom', but that's a post for another time ;)

Olivia was excited for her new tutu and seemed to really love going to the dress rehearsals.  However, the auditorium was still empty because the rehearsals were closed.  Therefore, we had NO idea what to expect the night of the the recital when it would be filled to the max with family and camera flashes.  Olivia's Grandma and Grandpa made the long journey from Oklahoma for the big night and we loved having them here!  Even though attention is always something that makes Olivia close up a little, I know that deep down she loved having the extra love and admiration.  Thank you, AG & Deb, for coming!

She and I had a fun time getting her all dolled up for the night!  I let her put on a little blush and mascara, mainly because I was sort of told I HAD to by the dance teacher.  Olivia thought it was great though!  Seriously though....how adorable does she look in that costume?!  I still can't believe how much she is growing up!








She was all smiles when I left her backstage with her friends!  She really is a social girl even though social situations can stress her out at times.  I said a little prayer, gave her a hug and kiss, and headed to my seat.

this is how she was backstage when I left!
She was shy walking out on stage and took a few seconds to warm up with each song, but she DID IT!  She stood on stage with all her friends and preformed the songs she'd been working on for months!  I couldn't have been more proud!  Not because she got the steps right or did them on time with the music.  I was proud because I know how HARD that had to be for our cautious and non-attention loving girl!  She was fabulous!!  (she is the third one in from the left)

look at that pose!!  Hah!!
That is her "I'm so uncomfortable, but I know I'm
supposed to stand here and smile" look...

WAY TO GO, OLIVIA GRACE!!   We are so proud of you for being brave and dancing with your friends!  It was such a treat to see you showing off all you've learned this year with Miss Leah! Way to go!  We are already looking forward to next year's recital!

Please let me know if the video won't play.  I've been having trouble with it.

No comments: