Sunday, March 1, 2009

For the love of a cat and an unborn baby...

Andy and I had quite a to-do-list to make it through before his deployment and we fell short in several areas, but the most important one revolved around our beloved kitty that we call Vegas. Santa-Cat was supposed to bring her a self-cleaning litter box on Christmas morning, but that didn't happen. So, we switched gears and said we would get it done by the end of February when Andy left. Well, that didn't happen either. So, yesterday I found myself at Pet Smart browsing the shelves for the desperately needed 'self-cleaning cat litter box' for the smiling (and begging for a belly-rub) member of our family that you see here.

The search ended with a purchase, but we may have to put ourselves on a savings plan to support this new luxury! I nearly fell over when I saw the price tag of $200!! Now, I know that it is important for our unborn baby that I do not come into contact with used kitty litter (for risk of toxoplasmosis, which can cause birth defects), but $200!! Are you kidding me? The cartidges that need replaced monthly cost $15 themselves, so the claim on the box about saving money on litter is not true! We will merely be redistributing our funds to self-cleaning cartidges....

I compared toilet bowl prices to Vegas' new "throne", and she should use hers with caution because hers is more than twice as much as a brand new toilet bowl from Lowe's (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=83185-77335-146WHT&lpage=none) Geez, the things we do for our pets.

The instructions claim that cats may take 7-10 days to adjust and I should keep her old litter box nearby, but she will use this new investment from the start if I have anything to do with it. I mean, why would she choose the old $10 litter box when she can do her business in the NEW $200 model?!?! The new model even keeps a count of her uses so that I can monitor her health......haha, like I have ever concerned myself with how many times Vegas uses her litter box! However, next time we go to the vet I will probably offer the daily numbers just because I can!
I present to you, the cadillac of all litter boxes....

4 comments:

Deb said...

Not that I'm truly interested in feline bathroom habits, but, let us know how Vegas adapts to her new throne!!! It sounds really interesting!! haha

kaceyleigh said...

we have the same one for zoie. we choked when we first saw the price too. but it's great! worth the money for sure. and she adjusted to it right away.
my advice: go online to the Scoop Free website and buy a box of 6 liter trays for $90. they deliver them to your house & it's worth it not have to travel to Petsmart every 3 weeks or so.

Stephanie. said...

Thanks for the info, Kacey!! Hopefully Vegas adjusts as well as Zoie!

Michelle said...

Holy smokes! $200?! I'm sure she appreciates it though and I'm sure you love not having to clean up after her ;o)