Thursday, February 18, 2010

sleep training...

Night One
February 17, 2010
After talking with some friends yesterday, I decided to go cold turkey to nip this night waking in the bud.  It has worked for millions of moms/babies, so it will work for us, right?!  I mean I had a good sleeper until a few weeks ago!  I miss my 10-12 hour sleeper and I am going to pull out the big guns to get her back. 

7:05pm - 1:46am: baby sleeping peacefully
1:46 - 2:10: crying/fussing, no mommy intervention provided, baby noted to be doing baby push-ups and peeking over bumper to see if mommy is coming to save her
2:10 - 2:16: baby quiet and snuggling on belly; mommy feels relief and thinks "that wasn't so bad!"
2:17: crying resumes
2:20: baby moves out of view of monitor and subsequently noted to be sitting up; mommy doesn't think so much of this new skill anymore
2:21: crying changes to screaming/wailing/moments of breath holding
2:22: mommy feels bad and goes in to get baby out of sitting position and to attempt consoling
2:23 - 2:30: all attempts at consoling are failing miserably, wailing/screaming continues
2:31 - 2:40: mommy realizes defeat and decides to nurse baby since that seems to be the only thing she wants; baby nurses and calms down immediately
2:41: baby placed back in bed awake, wimpers a bit, but snuggles up and drifts off to sleep
2:42 - 7:14am: baby sleeps peacefully (as does mommy)

Score: Baby Girl one; Mommy zero
sigh...

3 comments:

kaceyleigh said...

sigh. keep up the good work though! i know you can do it : )

Mary said...

If you succeed at this, you are a stronger woman than I. Will still gets up an average of twice a night. I tried the crying it out but couldn't take it. I only ever made it to the screaming/wailing/choking-on-slobber-from-crying-so-hard/abject-sadness stage before I gave in. So, less than 10 minutes. Which seemed like an eternity. I don't know how people can let their kids cry for an hour or more. I would be a mess. I don't think CIO is for everybody but more power to you! I hope it works and good luck!

Jill said...

keep with it. It will take sometime but it will work! Good job on the bit you did manage!