Sunday, August 7, 2011

born to be a pig showman?!

It is sort of a right of passage in the Jordan family to show your first pig as soon as you can walk.  Both my sisters and myself started our pig-showing careers that young and it is not uncommon to hear that same scenario for other farm kids!  Naturally, I was excited to give Olivia this same right of passage.  Andy was a trooper and never objected!  Perhaps some things you know you just can't argue with (or maybe he was afraid of my family;) 


Papa made sure that each little one had a pig to show.  Kaylynn and Garrett are seasoned veterans at this point (at the ages of 12 and 9) and were more than willing to help Olivia, Drew, Jordan, & Eli in the show ring. 


First things first though- when you take pigs to the fair.  You must get them clean!  I think this was Olivia's most favorite part of the whole process!

****I have a cute video of the process, but I cannot get it to embed here.  So if you want to watch it, click here. ****
helping Kaylynn clean out the pen
Finally all of the work was done (I say this lightly because Olivia and I really didn't do any of the work besides the little bit you see here.  Props to my dad and my brother-in-law Eric because they stayed up late in the night weighing and clipping all of the show pigs!)
with Aunt Kelly on show day!
heading towards the show ring with Daddy and Uncle Eric
The picture of Kaylynn holding Olivia's hand as they wait to go into the ring melts my heart!  Kaylynn was being so patient and Olivia was doing her best to be very brave!
and now its SHOW TIME!

Relaxing after her big debut and showing off the ribbon she won! 


1 comment:

Cay said...

Love reliving the fun of fair days thru your pic's and story! I think the real trooper was Stephanie for summer pregnancy really is a challenge in it's self huh. Hooray for Olivia and fun times she had! I think you have a showman in the family for sure! Love Nana