Sunday, August 14, 2011

it takes a village. (and a confession)

I've heard that it takes a village to raise a child.  Well, I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I at this time in our life I would like to rephrase to say "it takes a village to get moved and settled into a new house"!  We are slowly, but surely, making our new house a home.  It has been a slow road for me though.  Perhaps that is because I haven't had the energy to do as much as I want.  However, between Andy (who has been amazing at unpacking and organizing!!) and some recent visits, I am starting to feel more comfortable with our progress. 
My dear girlfriend Mandy came to visit and help the week after we got here.  Her visit aslo meant I got to meet her ah-dorable baby boy Caleb!  He had been on this planet for four months and I hadn't gotten to snuggle with him yet!  That fact alone was nearly making me crazy, but that was all cured by her heroic visit! 
She helped me get the furniture arranged in a way that makes our living room so much more family friendly, she helped me plan where all of the pictures will go on the wall, she cooked delicious food, unpacked lots and lots of boxes, and let Olivia tag along and be a "helper" with Caleb the entire visit!  I don't think there were many diaper changes or feedings where Olivia wasn't front and center wanting to help and/or watch!  Hopefully she likes her baby brother as much as she loved sweet Caleb!
Olivia loved sitting in the bouncy chair
we pulled out for Caleb.
sweet goodbye kisses.

THANK YOU, Mandy for making the drive from Texas and helping us get settled!

Our help did not stop with her though.  My middle sister, brother-in-law, and their children just left today from a four day visit!  Cathy sorted, laundered, and put away/organized ALL of Baby Boy's clothes!  How amazing is that!  I had nothing (let me repeat....nothing) done to prepare for his arrival until she was here. Just having that done has  helped me feel more relaxed. 

We also cleared out the nursery, which was overtaken with boxes of unpacked junk things.  You can now walk in the door, which will be helpful in the next few weeks when we welcome Baby Boy to the family.  My brother-in-law mowed the grass, played babysitter to all 4 children when we needed it, carried boxes to the attic, and hung lots and lots of pictures!  Seriously, we made huge progress this weekend thanks to the Meyer family!  (and we did it with 3 2-year olds and a 4 year old to tend to, as well!  I only muttered "where's Nana when you need her?" about a dozen times ;)
taking a break from swimming for a snack!
having fun in Olivia's room
silly girl!
Click HERE to see a video of the three little ones in the pool.  I cannot get my Vimeo videos to embed anymore.  Anyone else having this problem?!!  So frustrating.  Any advice would be appreciated. 
_____________________________________
Also, you've probably noticed the appearance of big-girl underwear in a few pictures.  Well, that is because our girl is nearly potty trained!  She started showing heavy interest in it just after we got moved in and we went with it.  I was not really ready to tackle that challenge on top of the other major life events we have going on, but you can't refuse a girl who wants to pee-pee on the potty!  She is nearly accident free when at home and we are so proud of her!  Public poses a different challenge, but she has been making progress with that as well!  She would probably be even closer to success with that, but I am a chicken and put her in a diaper when we go out for errands.  I know that needs to stop, but I have these terrible visions of her peeing all over the shopping cart.  Andy took her to Wal-Mart and then out for ice-cream today and she stayed dry the entire time!   Mommy just needs to bite the bullet and get over it!

So there, I've said the potty-trained words out loud.  Hope we aren't cursed!

1 comment:

lanemom2 said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! I am so so proud of Olivia! Tell her that SF sends a huge hug to her for being such a big girl :) And we will pray for continued dryness! (now to see if we can conquer such things...)